General Enrollment Questions
How do I enroll my child?
Enrollment applications are available at the school office during normal school hours. For your convenience, applications can be downloaded and submitted in person. For more information, please call the school office at 313-596-0079.
Students entering grades K-8th grade are invited to apply for enrollment by filling out an enrollment form which can be found at the school’s main office and return all required documentation. Students already at Escuela Avancemos! will re-enroll during the assigned enrollment period in the spring. If capacity is insufficient to enroll a student, all eligible students who fill out an enrollment form and attend an information session will be entered into a lottery of all eligible applicants. All eligible students thereafter will be entered into a lottery, closing on the last day of each month, which shall be conducted on the first day of each month until the start of school. When a seat becomes available, the list for available seat grades is accessed. Students may enroll during the current school year if there is sufficient capacity in their particular grade level. Siblings are given enrollment preference.
What documents are required for enrollment?
The following information must be provided by the parent/legal guardian at the time of enrollment:
✓ BIRTH CERTIFICATE – Must provide student’s certified birth certificate with raised seal, as required by law. A hospital registration certificate or certificate of live birth signed by a physician is not acceptable. To enroll a student in school, you MUST be the parent listed on the student’s birth certificate
OR you MUST be the student’s legal guardian with official court documentation.
✓ IDENTIFICATION – Valid Photo I.D., such as a driver’s license, state I.D., or passport of the parent (if not US Citizen), or legal guardian will be copied. The driver’s license or state ID card must show the current address of residence.
✓ IMMUNIZATION RECORDS – Children must follow state vaccine laws to attend school and help prevent disease outbreaks in school settings. Up-to-date records are required, including Hepatitis B and Varicella (chickenpox) vaccines. Kindergarten students must provide a record of vision and hearing screening.
✓ LAST REPORT CARD- The previous school attended academic record.
✓ INDIVIDUALIZED EDUCATION PROGRAM (IEP) IF APPLICABLE - A parent should bring the most current IEP, M.E.T., and Release & Reports for Special Education
Please Note: Missing documentation may delay the enrollment of your student
Please contact the school office for any questions or concerns at (313) 596-0079.
Non-Discrimination/Non-Harassment of Student and Staff
Escuela Avancemos! does not discriminate and affirms the rights of all students on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or ability. All students are to be treated with respect and to be protected from intimidation, discrimination, physical harm, and/or harassment.
Students who believe that they or any other students have been the subject of harassment and/or discriminatory behavior will report the incident immediately to the instructional leader, administrators, or appropriate supervisor or their designees. Complaints about harassment/discrimination behavior will be investigated immediately. Any students who violate this policy that directly or indirectly causes intimidation, harassment or physical harm to another student or staff member will be subject to disciplinary actions.
Additional Important Information
- If a student requires prescribed medication during the school day, he/she must have a permission slip signed by a parent/guardian. The medication must be taken to the school’s office as soon as the student arrives at Escuela Avancemos and must be in the original prescription container labeled with the recommended dosage. An administrator or school nurse will dispense the medication at the prescribed times. Over the counter medications will not be dispensed at any time prior to written permission from the parent/guardian. At no time is a student permitted to have medication in his/her possession unless prior approval has been obtained.
- To address a concern or seek resolution to a problem at Escuela Avancemos, please address the school’s leader or administrator if you have a concern first and foremost. If your concern is not addressed to your satisfaction, contact a representative of Escuela Avancemos Governing Board of Directors. This representative may work with you to resolve the issue or may take the issue to the Board for inclusion at the next meeting. A list of the Board members is available at the front of this handbook.
- If a student becomes seriously ill or injured during instructional hours (on or off school grounds), parent/guardian contact will be made as specified on the school emergency card. A parent/guardian must keep the school informed of any changes in work, home, or emergency phone numbers. Every effort will be made to inform parent/guardian quickly. A parent/guardian must notify the school regarding child custody information that affects the release of health and academic records, or the release of the child from school. Students will be released only to their parent/guardian, unless the school has received written notification of changes.
- The following records must be on file in the school office at the beginning of each school year.
- Consent for Medical Treatment Form
- Emergency Contact Form
Withdrawal from School/Transfer of Records
- If a parent/guardian and student move to another school district during the school year or summer months, the student’s records will be sent to the appropriate school at the request of the school. A parent/guardian should be certain that there are no fees due prior to transferring records.
Student Staying with Another Family
- If a student is staying with another family in the absence of the parent/guardian for the short term, the school must be notified with a notarizing note stating the dates the parent/guardian will be away and the name and number of the designated responsible person. The information will be used in case of an illness or an emergency.